After Suburbia will be held October 19 – 21, 2017 at York University's Keele Campus.
The conference will bring together leading scholars of suburbanization and suburbanisms with a global profile, international scholars associated with the MCRI Global Suburbanisms project, Toronto region based urban policy and planning professionals and practitioners, and graduate students who will be presenting their own suburban research in our graduate student pre-conference.
The conference will be structured around the three foundational themes of the MCRI: Governance, Land and Infrastructure with the added topic of Comparative Suburban Research. Keynote speakers include Solly Angel (New York University, U.S.A); Roger Keil (York University, Canada); Crystal Legacy (University of Melbourne); Roberto Luís Monte-Mór (Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil); Jennifer Robinson (University College London, UK); and Fulong Wu (University College London, UK).
In addition to conventional scholarly presentation formats (keynotes, panels, papers), the conference will feature:
- The Art Gallery of York University fall's exhibition Migrating the Margins and a panel on curatorial practices, "On the Edge of Curating: Towards New Practices"
- A Mayors Panel featuring Mayor Rob Burton, Oakville; Mayor Linda Jeffrey, Brampton; Mayor Jeff Lehman, Barrie; and Mayor Steve Parish, Ajax
- A staged reading of Dora award winning play, Concord Floral supported by York's Department of Theatre & Department of Dance.
- Photography and data visualization exhibition created by MCRI Researchers entitled, Urban Growth on the Periphery: Land, Urban Form, Infrastructure & Everyday Life
Navigating the Conference:
- Directions to York University, Keele Campus
- Campus Map and Conference Locations
- Accommodation Details for Conference Participants
- Guidelines for Presenters
Please continue to check back for updates as more details will be posted as they become available. We look forward to seeing you in October!
For more information or details about registration and volunteering for the conference please contact email@example.com